Chevrolet cars or trucks with an SS logo always had a special place in the heart of car enthusiasts. What does this actually mean? How do Chevy SS vehicles differ from other models?
Well, SS stands for Super Sport in this case. This expresses the vehicle has a signature performance package that isn’t available on regular models. The special benefits of these models are the reason behind their popularity and legacy.
I have handled different SS models in my work life as an auto technician. This is my chance to tell you about Chevy SS models in detail. Let’s hop onto one.
Read also >> What Does RS Mean On A Camaro + Other FAQs
What Does SS Stand for Chevy?
Chevrolet, more commonly known as Chevy to automotive fans worldwide, is a brand under General Motors that produces cars and pickups. Some of the Chevrolet models are highly popular for their high-performance engines, rugged build quality, and aggressive look.
Certain models surpass all other models under the brand with their SS badging. As I have already mentioned, SS stands for Super Sport here. The SS badge denotes that the car or truck is equipped with a special performance package unavailable on regular models.
These performance options increase the vehicle’s overall appeal to a great extent. As a result, the demand for SS models was always on the rise. But General Motors produced a certain number of vehicles with the SS badge on them. The first car rolling out of the factory with this badge was the Chevrolet Impala 1961.
Other car models like the Camarao, Monte Carlo, Chevelle, El Camino, etc., also bore the same badge. Truck models like the 454, S10, and Silverado had SS packages. Currently, only the Chevy Camaro, an iconic Chevy muscle car, bears the SS designation among the whole vehicle lineup of the company.
What Features Does SS Truck Have?
The discussion of Chevy trucks can never proceed without the Silverado. The only Silverado SS came in 2003 and lasted till 2006. After that, the company didn’t bring any SS models. But according to the latest announcements at a car show in 2018, Chevrolet is going to reveal a futuristic SS model of the Silverado.
Before going to that, here are some of the features an SS truck usually owns.
The 2006 Silverado SS had a 6,000 cc V8 engine to produce 345 horsepower and 380 lb-ft of torque. This gasoline engine had a larger fuel tank than the non-SS models so that it could run more miles at a stretch.
#2- Rear-wheel &Transmission
It had rear-wheel drive with a four-speed automatic transmission system. Though the concept car is assumed to be an off-road boss, the then Silverado was no less of a performance truck.
Due to the performance tuning, the truck was able to carry more payloads and had a greater towing capacity than ordinary models. A performance-shifting experience was one of the main identities of an SS truck or car.
On the exterior, you would get extra options like rear spoilers, a variety of colors, and many more.
Which Model of Chevy Has SS Packaged?
Chevrolet has discontinued most of its SS models. I am making a list of all models having an SS package from the beginning to date. Check this list to meet your quests.
- Chevrolet Camaro: It is currently the only SS model in the market with a 6.2L V8 engine that produces 455HP.
- Chevrolet SS: This model was also known as Commodore. It produced 415HP and was continued from 2014 to 2017.
- Chevrolet Cobalt: Different editions of this model were on the market. This four-door car got 2.0-2.4L engines in various editions.
- Chevrolet HHR: This one had a turbocharged I4 engine to produce 260HP and was continued from 2008 to 2010.
- Chevrolet Impala: This car came in many versions in three stages of production. And this was the first vehicle from Chevrolet to have the SS car logo.
- Chevrolet Chevelle: It came out in 1964 and was on the market till 1973.
- Chevrolet El Camino: This car continued from 1968 to 1987.
- Chevrolet Monte Carlo: The last car of this model was seen in 2007.
- Chevrolet 454 SS: It was the first truck model to be introduced on the market with an SS package.
- Chevrolet S10 SS: This model continued from 1994 to 1998.
- Chevrolet Silverado SS: The most iconic truck model with this package. It came out in different editions from 2003 to 2006.
- Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS: This heavy-duty truck with a 6.0L V8 engine got the package in 2006.
Read also >> [Detailed] What does z71 stand for On Chevy Trucks?
How do VERIFY the Truck Is Actually SS?
Due to the high demand for SS models, many scammers try to install aftermarket parts to make non-SS models look like SS models and sell them at high prices. I just wanted to alert you of those scammers with simple instructions to verify whether the truck is SS.
- The first thing you can do is to check the original spec sheet of the vehicle. Compare the specs with the ones of a non-SS model. An SS truck should have more powerful engines, special trim packages, a better suspension and braking system, and larger wheels. If you find these options on the truck, it is most probably an SS.
- You can then check the engine number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to verify whether the truck is SS. Enter the VIN on this website to find out the original model, manufacturing year, engine number, and other details.
- Checking the trim tag on the glove box might also give you a brief idea about the authenticity of the model.
- And finally, if you can’t verify the truck on your own, I suggest you consult your local Chevy dealer or an expert technician.
people also ask (FAQs)
Before I end, here are answers to some question that is buzzing around in the community.
Is the Chevy SS a rare car?
Yes. This model is now discontinued. So, you might rarely see any of these beasts containing a 6.2L engine with a 6-speed manual transmission.
How fast does a Chevy SS go?
Chevy SS can go from 0 to 60 mph in just under five seconds. And its maximum speed can reach up to 175 mph.
Do GM Motors still produce SS models?
The Performance Division of GM now produces only one SS model. All other models were discontinued in different phases of production.
How many Chevy SS was made?
According to the manufacturing statistics in 2017, a total of 4,008 units of Chevy SS were made. They were in different colors, such as Phantom Black Metallic, Heron White, Nightfall Gray Metallic, etc.
Finding an SS truck is no less than finding a gem nowadays. Those models were the symbol of ultimate performance and luxury in the good old days. Unfortunately, most of those models are not in production currently.
An SS or Super Sport Chevy truck will always be known for its agile performance, aggressive look, and durable build with luxury trim options. As those models are pretty rare now, you might need to spend a good amount to buy one of them.
Before some fake SS models lure you, learn how to verify whether the truck is actually SS.